Our SANAS accredited laboratory is expanding its scope of analyses to include for occupational hygiene monitoring.
What does 'occupational hygiene' refer to?
"Occupational hygiene is the science of the anticipation, recognition, evaluation and control of hazards arising in or from the workplace, and which could impair the health and well-being of workers, also taking into account the possible impact on the surrounding communities and the general environment."
New testing developments in our laboratory include:
XRD analyses (specifically looking at crystalline silica in respirable airborne dust).
- This application can also be applied to environmental dust fall out sample analyses. Filtered samples can be scanned to give a mineralogical make-up of the dust sample.
- Furthermore, various potential dust sources could also be fingerprinted on the XRD to give a mineralogical make-up of these dust sources.
- It is expected that the XRD testing will commence from the second quarter of 2017.
Diesel Particulate Matter.
- Diesel particulate matter (DPM), sometimes also called diesel exhaust particles (DEP), is the particulate component of diesel exhaust, which includes diesel soot and aerosols such as ash particulates, metallic abrasion particles, sulfates, and silicates.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies diesel engine exhaust as carcinogenic to humans, based on sufficient evidence that exposure is associated with an increased risk for lung cancer
- This test method should commence during the first quarter of 2017.
Gravimetric weighing of occupational hygiene filters.
- This gravimetric method looks at the inhalable dust portion and specifically the respirable and thoracic dust particles.
- This test method is already SANAS accredited and available in our laboratory.
Should you be interested in the abovementioned laboratory analyses, or any of the current analyses provided by our SANAS accredited laboratory, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Aquatico Team we would like to wish all our clients and suppliers a prosperous new year.